Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fresh and Local at Wegmans

Wegmans offers produce from local farms throughout the summer, which I think is a great way to make it easier for more people to buy foods grown in our area. I do not have a farmers' market in my neighborhood, so it is nice to have local options when I can't make a special trip to Elmwood or the weekday market downtown. They also offer other local foods, like Pellicano's tomato sauce, in their Nature's Marketplace section.

So, what local produce was Wegmans offering this week?

Yellow Squash (delicious marinated in italian dressing and grilled)

Zucchini (not my favorite, but it did look quite good)

Cabbage (many varieties--the Savoy looked particularly tasty)

Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red Leaf, and Romaine)

Potted Basil (from a local green house)

Not bad selection for a mass market. I look forward to seeing more local produce at Wegmans this summer, especially local fruit.

No comments: