Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Cookout, Not a Rainout

I had the opportunity to briefly stop by the Massachusetts Avenue Project's local foods cookout tonight at their Growing Green project site on (naturally) Massachusetts Avenue. As I was pulling up. thunderclouds were rumbling ominously and the wind was starting to kick up, but there were numerous tents covering people, and everyone enjoying the delicious looking food seemed undeterred by the threat of rain. Then it started to pour. To use a Midwestern colloquialism, it was a real gullywasher. And no one left. The diverse and lively crowd was too busy munching ears of buttery corn, laughing, and enjoying each other's company. It reminded me of what I love about Buffalo--our toughness in the face of adversity, and our real sense of neighborliness and conviviality. The only downside was that I didn't get to stay long enough to sample anything.

No comments: