Wednesday, September 17, 2008

East Aurora Farmer's Market

Today I happened to be in East Aurora meeting a friend for lunch, and I noticed that they had a small farmer's market set up in a shopping plaza parking lot. I had a few minutes before lunch, so I popped in for a quick visit. What a charming little market!

There were about ten vendors, selling apples, peaches, pears, plums, mounds of peppers and tomatoes, root vegetables, even a few pints of raspberries. A few plants and herbs were for sale at one stand as well. Nice variety, both in terms of produce and vendors.

I spent $6.50 and walked away with a couple of pounds of Bartlett pears and probably 5 pounds of turnips. The turnip seller was a sweet-looking old lady who threw in an extra turnip and asked me how I was going to prepare them. I said I would probably mash them (I didn't want to admit I'd never eaten a turnip, they just looked too pretty to pass up) and she said I should make sure to use butter, salt, and a bit of pepper. Now I just need to figure out what goes well with mashed turnips.

The market is open on weekdays from 7-1 and I hear that it is quite crowded on Saturdays. If you live in the Southtowns, far from Bidwell's bounty, it is definitely worth a trip.

No comments: