Saturday, September 6, 2008

September Resolutions

All of us at Buffalo Locavore have been a little light with our posting for the last few weeks because this happens to be the absolute busiest work time of the year for all five of us, even though we have a variety of different jobs. Posting should become more frequent in the next few weeks, and we will get back to more of our editorial goals including interviews with local farmers, restaurant reviews, and experimenting with new or different local foods. With the change in the seasons, the change in available foods should be interesting blog fodder as well.

For me, September has always been a month about new beginnings. This is possibly the product of 13 years of public school K-12 and 4 years of college, but even though I have not had to think about "back to school" in 10 years, whenever Labor Day hits it feels more to me like time to re-evaluate and set goals for the upcoming months. Perhaps part of this is that September begins colder nights and that first tickling feeling that we are about to embark on yet another winter's long hibernation. Let other people have their January 1 resolutions when the calendar changes, I am sticking with September.

In the spirit of this blog, I have made a handful of food resolutions that I plan to keep within the next six months. Hopefully, knowing that I have made this promise publicly and plan on reporting back to our faithful readers on my progress will really help me stick to it. I welcome all suggestions and tips, including referrals to local suppliers.

My food resolutions are :

1. to learn to make the following from scratch:

croissants
popovers
cannoli (even the shells)
marinara sauce (hopefully from our backyard tomatoes)
mozzarella cheese
clafoutis
tarte tatin
pumpkin pie (from our backyard pumpkins)
one Indian dish (exactly what is undecided)

2. to re-learn how to make:

pie crust
pasta
yeast bread
roast chicken

3. to try the following vegetables at least once:

rutabaga
parsnip
turnip
(Maybe all three at once using Whitney's root bake recipe from an earlier post?)
spaghetti squash

Keep checking in to see how far I get or if my resolutions fall by the wayside, as so many do. If you make any resolutions of your own, please share and we will cheer you on as you progress.

Happy September!

No comments: