Monday, March 16, 2009

Buffalo Small Press Fair - this Saturday!

In continuing with my buy-local coverage, I thought I'd highlight the Buffalo Small Press Book Fair happening this Saturday at the Karpeles Manuscript Museum on Porter Ave. I've never gone and am sorry to say that I'd never heard of it until today.

From the website: The Buffalo Small Press Book Fair is a regional one day event that brings booksellers, authors, bookmakers, zinesters, small presses, artists, poets, and other cultural workers (and enthusiasts) together in a venue where they can share ideas, showcase their art, and peddle their wares.

The inclusion of zinesters piqued my interest. If you don't know what a zine is, I suggest you read this and then go to the Small Press Fair with $20 in cash. I don't know Buffalo's zine scene too well but I'd be willing to bet that for $20 or less you'll pick up some fun, photocopied pieces of local art. If you want to see some of the best of the best, check out Microcosm Publishing. It's not Buffalo-based but it is an independent and community-focused publisher.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sadly not as many zines as one would have hoped for, but a lovely turn out and some beautiful work was on display. A great event.