Thursday, April 2, 2009

Councilman Rivera is Pro-Poultry

The Buffalo News continued its "chickens in the city" coverage with an article today about Buffalo Council Member David Rivera's visit to Monique Watts' chicken coop on Rhode Island Street (in David's district). Rivera's office is looking into changing Buffalo law to allow for small urban coops. You can read the story here.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will say that Council Member Rivera is a friend of mine, and someone whom I admire very much. So, I am admittedly biased. However, I think it is great that Rivera is taking a serious look at this issue and I hope his colleagues address this issue with the same thoughtful consideration as Council Member Rivera. I think allowing small chicken coops in the city will add to our quality of life and increase access to delicious, nutritious free range eggs. My nieces have raised chickens at their house out in the country for years (since before the youngest was in kindergarten) and I have seen firsthand what a fulfilling experience it is for the whole family, in addition to providing food.

No comments: