Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter = Polish Food & Springtime!




Every year for Easter, my husband and I host dinner for his family. We don't really celebrate Easter as either a religious or chocolate bunny-oriented holiday, but we do use it as an excuse to have a little feast of Polish food (makes sense, as my husband's family is Polish). My contributions are usually more traditional American fare--ham, some sort of cheesy potato dish, and green bean casserole (I'm from the Midwest--it's practically mandatory). My husband spends two days before Easter making pierogies from scratch--one batch using farmer's cheese as the filling, and one batch stuffed with sauerkraut. I abhor sauerkraut, but adore the cheese stuffing. I have also heard of pierogies stuffed with potatoes, onions, or prunes. Can't say the prune ones sound too appealing.

We serve the American stuff I make along with pierogies, polish sausage, lots of rye bread, and of course a butter lamb. I had never heard of butter lambs before I married a nice Polish boy, but now I can't imagine an Easter table without one. One of these days we may even get around to making our own butter lamb for the table instead of just buying the ones Wegman's sells (which are made by a vendor at the Broadway Market, which we know we should visit in person but the crowds are just too crazy this time of year).

I hope everyone has been enjoying the lovely weather the weekend, and celebrating this weekend's holidays if that is what you do. I think Spring is definitely on the way, and I love Easter as a way to welcome the new season. The world is starting to bloom again, and soon it will be time to start planting the summer garden.

No comments: