Saturday, May 30, 2009

Rhubarb Crumble

My first CSA share was pretty small, comprised of asparagus, green onions, and rhubarb. I had never tried rhubarb before, but my mother-in-law had coincidentally just given me a recipe from a magazine for rhubarb crumble. It was basically chopped rhubarb covered in A LOT of white sugar and a smidge of flour and then topped with a lot of brown sugar, butter, and flour that had been blended together and crumbled over the top. My rhubarb was green instead of the traditional red (the red is not an indicator of ripeness, just the most popular commercial breed of rhubarb) so the whole crumble turned out a kind of caramel color. The color was fitting because the brown sugar and the butter melted into the rhubarb and the whole dish tasted like tangy caramel. It was delicious, and definitely a good use of my first CSA share. The remaining ingredients went into an asparagus and prosciutto risotto that I will be reporting on soon.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I think it was green garlic, not green onions.

I made a similar recipe for rhubarb crisp. I can't believe you've never had rhubarb - it's practically the reason I signed up for Promised Land despite already having a Porter Farms share!