Saturday, July 11, 2009

I joined the Co-op

I never thought I would but I actually didn't know enough about it. I figured I wouldn't ever make back the $80 membership fee in savings. Under the 2%-ff-everything model, I would have to spend $4000 to break even.

I knew the Co-op has ditched the 2% off everything model in favor of monthly member-only specials and a dividend program. The fiscal year ended June 30 and this will be the first year members could get a dividend check. We'll see how it goes. In any case, that makes July the perfect time to join - if there's enough profit for a dividend, it will be based on how much I spent there from July 1- to June 30. However, this is an "if" so it wasn't enough, on its one, to get me to join.

Then I realized you have to be a member to get the monthly bulk order specials. I saved $15 right off the bat when I ordered two cases of sale foods.

The real kicker was learning that if I ever want to, I can sell my share back to the Co-op. Seems like a good deal.

Then I got my free tote bag for paying all at once. I got a second free tote bag for using my coupon from the Buffalo First coupon book.

I got home and opened my new member folder, and there is a book of coupons. More than half the coupons are for free stuff - free bread, free agave, free 7th generation cleaner, free iced tea, free soy milk, free soy sauce, and other discounts that amount to more than 50%. It's pretty cool.

All in all, I am very satisfied with the transaction. I feel like I have invested in something local which in turn invests in many things local. That should be enough, but it looks like this investment will pay for itself fairly quickly, so what is not to love?

No comments: