Saturday, August 1, 2009

Eat Local Challenge Tip 1: Protein

So I am jazzed for the local challenge coming up this month. Veggies and grains should be no problem. However, as a vegetarian, what is a good source of local protein? I don't know if I can bring myself to spend $6 a week on eggs.

What I have found is that SoyBoy, headquartered in Rochester, uses local ingredients whenever possible.

"We source our ingredients locally whenever possible. In the last year we’ve used organic soybeans from the Finger Lakes region of New York (50 miles), Ontario, Canada (150 miles) and Eastern Michigan (260 miles). We try to buy as close to home as we can, but market conditions sometimes mean going a little farther to get the high protein organic beans that we need. But our beans have always come from trusted North American farms." http://www.soyboy.com/faq.htm Also, bonus - no GMO soy in their products.

If anyone has information on legumes, nuts, whole grains...please share. I know Promised Land does dry beans (and provides grains for Five Points Bakery), but I think that is later in the fall. I know the Eat Local Challenge lets you go 20% non-local, but I'd like to do the best I can.

No comments: