Monday, August 25, 2008

Beets and homemade sauce


First of all, my thanks to Whitney for the beet recipe she suggested. I haven't tried it yet, but I definitely will. The lovely dish of beets seen in the picture is an appetizer I shared with a good friend at Lolita, an awesome restaurant in Cleveland owned by Iron Chef himself Michael Symon. http://www.lolabistro.com/ And yes, we are total nerds for taking pictures of our food, but I don't care. The guys behind us were taking pics of their steaks, so there.
This dish was sooo good - honey, beets, mint, orange zest, ricotta cheese and almonds. I was so inspired, I tried to replicate at home with my CSA beets. Yeah, that didn't go so good but if you can cook beets correctly (I obviously can't) then I would recommend this dish.
Last week was all you can pick tomatoes and my neighbor/co-share owner went all out. I made tomato sauce from scratch this weekend and it turned out great!! Used a bit for a zucchini and eggplant lasagna we made tonight. Cooking Light comes through again!

1 comment:

buffalolocavore said...

The lasagna sounds amazing. Any pictures or the recipe to share?

Our tomatoes are still green, but it looks like we are going to have a bumper crop this year.