Monday, August 25, 2008

Local Favorites

So far, we have mostly discussed local foods in terms of produce grown locally and used in homemade dishes. This is, of course, at the core of the local food movement. However, I think it is also important to highlight food businesses that are locally owned. So, here are a list of some of my favorite Buffalo-centric food outlets (minus restaurants):

Spar's Sausages (If you have never been to this delightful little shop on Amherst St, near Grant, you are seriously missing out. They have a great selection of Hungarian delicacies in the grocery part of the store, and a wonderful variety of homemade sausages.)

Fowlers Chocolates (I know there is a big debate about the best of the local chocolatiers, and we do have great selection between Parkside Candies, Watsons, Choco-Logo, Niagara Candy, etc but I think Fowlers just tastes creamier and richer somehow).

Costanzo's Rolls (How on earth they make these taste so good is beyond me, but roast beef just isn't right without them.)

Federal Meats (Great customer service. Wish they had more free-range and grass-finished products.)

Sweet Tooth (My vote for the best desserts in town.)

and it wouldn't be Easter without a butter lamb from the Broadway Market (and I am not even Polish).

What are some of YOUR favorite local spots to bring home treats for your table?

No comments: