Sunday, May 10, 2009

First Farmer's Market Trip of the Year!

Oh happy day! Yesterday was the second weeked of the East Aurora farmer's market and my first trip of the year. I was suprised to see how much produce and greenery was available; I seem to remember the first couple of weeks last year were a little on the slim side - obviously, since the growing season is still a bit early - but there were plenty of plants and flowers to choose from. The regulars were there: Pasta Peddler, the honey guy, the spice lady, the dog treat lady, the beef peeps, etc.

We did well, buying a too-much-for-two-people portion of Italian chicken sausage, which we enjoyed last night BBQ'd with the potatoes we also bought there and some steamed asparagus. I was most happy about buying eggs from my little friends, the grandkids of the couple that also sells plants. The kids weren't there but grandpa gave me a free dozen eggs and told me to return the cartons (yes!).

Lastly, I was really happy to get more of the cherry vanilla jam I love from Peppermint Farms. Now that I'm not doing a CSA this year, I'll be spending more local dollars at the market and can't wait to taste the good meals that will come from it.

1 comment:

Sadako said...

YUM! I love the farmer's market.